BACK TO SCHOOL with Great K-3 Literature — FREE Lesson Plans
Back to School With Literature Units That Integrate Other Subjects
- Over 100 Student Activities for the Classroom
- Teacher resources for study units in Literature, Writing Letters, Art, Science, Geography, Map Work, Social Studies, Math and more
- FAQ by Children’s Book Author, Darcy Pattison about writing her picture books
BACK TO SCHOOL with Picture Books by Children’s Book Author, Darcy Pattison
- 19 Girls and Me (Philomel/Penguin)
This is a story about friendship in a kindergarten class with 19 girls and one lone boy.
- “Readers will have almost as much fun with this title as these 20 energetic and happy classmates have together.” School Library Journal
- “Adept and amusing depiction of this early battle between the sexes and her harmonious solution is ideal for readers of any gender.” Kirkus Reviews
- “The brightly colored illustrations depicting the adventures and the rich, descriptive text will encourage imaginary play.” Childhood Education
- The Journey of Oliver K. Woodman (Harcourt)
A wooden man travels across the family to connect a family.
- “A fresh, unusual tale.” School Library Journal
- “. . . whimsical and imaginative. . .” Booklist
- “. . . a warm tale. . .” Publisher’s Weekly
- “All geography lessons should be this much fun.” Kirkus Reviews
- Searching for Oliver K. Woodman (Harcourt)
When Oliver is lost, a Private Eye a wooden woman goes out to find him.
- “. . .this whimsical cross-country jaunt. Young readers will eagerly await more exciting travels from the wooden duo. . .Publishers Weekly
- “. . .understatement and ambiguity are everything. . .” Kirkus Reviews
Back to School With the BEST. . .
- Of Children’s Literature – The Journey of Oliver K. Woodman
has received many recognitions of excellence including:
- Starred Reviews in The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books and Kirkus Reviews
- Child magazine Best Books of the Year
- Nick Jr. Family Magazine Best Books of the Year
- Irma S. and James H. Black Picture Book Award Honor.
- Read Alouds – 19 Girls and Me.
The 2008 Read Aloud America Book List
places 19 Girls and Me at the Top of their K-1 Reading List
- Humor – Searching for Oliver K. Woodman
“Small details, such as clever license plates (the clown’s plate reads “EEEHA”), add to the book’s subtle humor.” Publisher’s Weekly
Back to School – Download FREE Lesson Plans now!
- Download free Lesson Plans for Darcy’s books. Included are Lesson Plans for The Journey of Oliver K. Woodman, Searching for Oliver K. Woodman and 19 Girls and Me. These Lesson Plans are FREE and may be distributed as needed.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the writing process for the books
- Easy to Use–Just photocopy and go!
- This is a 6374 KB zipped pdf file. It may take a couple minutes to download. Please be patient!
Fiction Notes by Email
When a new post appears on Fiction Notes, we'll send it to you by email.
We love to make it easy for you!