Let’s Meet! Here are some places I’ll be speaking this year.
- Novel Revision Retreat, Portland SCBWI, January 16-18, Portland, OR
- PB&J: Picture Books and All that Jazz. Highlights Foundation, Honesdale, PA April 23-26
- MidSouth SCBWI Conference, Nashville, TN. September 18-20.
Darcy Pattison’s News
- January, 2015. Audiofile Magazine reviewed the audiobook of Saucy and Bubba.
Author Pattison and narrator Monica Clark-Robinson imbue this update of “Hansel and Gretel” with just the right mix of youthful idealism and harsh reality. . . Clark-Robinson portrays Saucy as a loving yet cautious girl who is constantly worried about her happy-go-lucky brother.” Read the full review.
- Fiction Notes blog named a Top 10 Blog for Writers.
- November, 2014. Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma: The True Story of an Orphaned Cub has been named a 2015 National Science Teacher’s Association Outstanding Science Trade Book.
- Kell and the Horse Apple Parade, Book 2 of the Aliens, Inc Chapter Book series is included in the Children’s Book Council HOT OFF THE PRESSES feature: They say, “This unique online bibliography features anticipated bestsellers, either recently released or forthcoming, published by CBC members.”
- Part 1: Interview on ArkansasAuthors.com about KELL, THE ALIEN. And Part 2 of the interview/
- August 4. HOT OFF THE PRESSES, from the Children’s Book Council includes Aliens Inc. Series, Book 1, KELL, THE ALIEN.
- July 25. Barbara Wysocki included DESERT BATHS in a School Library Journal article, “Grunt, Quack, Oink | Focus On Animal Books.”
- My friend, Sue Bradford Edwards just reviewed of Saucy and Bubba. yeah, we are long time friends, but her review made me want to cry. That’s OK, she says that my story made HER cry, so that’s fair! “. . .this is its truth and why it is so powerful.” Read the full reeview here.
- July 14, Kit Lit Review by Sue Morris of my middle grade novel, Saucy and Bubba . “If only all family problems could be solved so easily.”
- June 30, 2014 Publisher’s Weekly. “Indie Spotlight on Children’s Books” by Jennifer McCartney includes a profile of my book, Wisdom, the Midway Albatross.
- 6/16/2014. Publisher’s Weekly reviewed Kell, the Alien.
Kell’s observations of Earth and details about life on planet Bix are amusing, and Davis’s wiry b&w line art further enlivens an engaging, accessible story. Kell’s struggles to fit in will resonate just fine with Earth’s readers.
- June 12-14, 2014. I co-taught with Leslie Helakoski a picture book retreat at Highlights Foundation in Honesdale, PA.
- I taught a Novel Revision Retreat in Tacoma Washington on June 6-8. See the photo album on Facebook here.
- The Girl, the Gypsy and the Gargoyle is now available as an audio book, narrated by actress Paula Bodin. It is available on Audible, Amazon and iTunes.
- May 27, 2014. Jennifer MacLeod recommends my ebook, HOW TO WRITE A CHILDREN’S PICTURE BOOK, in this list,15 Kindle books under $10 that will help you write a great children’s book… and 3 to skip at any price.
- Audio review of Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma by Julie Falatko on Katie Davis’ Brain Burps Podcast. She says, “Pattison takes a grain of a story and tells it so much larger themes are addressed.” Of Kitty Harvill’s art, Julie says it has “just right” illustrations that are “animal focused views.”
- The May 22, 2014. Rocking Self Publishing Podcast interviewed me this month on my journey from traditional publishing to becoming a hybrid author. A hybrid author has some books traditionally published and some self-published. Listen to the interview here.
- May 20, 2014. WISDOM THE MIDWAY ALBATROSS has been named to the 2014-15 reading list for the Sakura Medal, a children’s book award given by the international schools in Japan. I am thrilled that Wisdom’s story will have this new audience in Japan.
- Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma is the May, 2014 featured book by the Authors for Earth Day.
- May 2, 2014. “Are you ready to Write a Picture Book?” The Highlights Foundation Blog used my five questions about picture books in a blog post that also links to a workshop I’ll be teaching there this summer.
- May 5, 2014. Laurie Thompson reviews ABAYOMI on her blog today.
- May-June, 2014. I’ve been notified that Fiction Notes will be one of the featured blogs on the SCBWI home page for the next two months. They choose about nine blogs to highlight and rotate them six times a year. I am surprised, but pleased to be included. I was the Arkansas SCBWI Regional Advisor for six years and Conference Director for ten–it’s an organization that has meant a lot to me.
- On April 28th, I did a couple school visits to celebrate Earth Day, as part of the Authors For Earth Day program. Yes, it was after Earth Day, but it was the only time we could schedule it. For more, including photos, see this post.
- My first audio book! Narrated by Paula Bodin, my novel The Girl, the Gypsy and the Gargoyle comes to life in her expert creation of the characters.
- Author Websites, Write a Picture Book and the Novel Revision Retreat are all coming to the northeast in this weekend packed with lots of great info. Read about the three retreats that will be in the Boston area in August.
- Eastern Pennslyvania SCBWI asked me about Picture Books and All that Jazz, a retreat that I will teach at the Highlights Foundation, along with Leslie Helakoski. Hope you’ll join me! Read the interview for more info.
- 2 Amazing Ways to Revise Your Novel (And When to Use Them), April 8, 2014 Guest blog on WritetoDone.com
- Literacy Notes from Patricia Newman reviewed ABAYOMI on March 27: A reading suggestion for Earth.
- Review of Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma on Archimedes Notebook, March 28, 2014. Abayomi, an Orphaned Puma Cub.
- The Studio radio program on the CRUU, with Cheryl Fusco Johnson. Interview on March 31 and April 2, archived.
- Interview on Naturally Speaking by Nancy Castaldo, Darcy Pattison Talks about her Latest: Abayomi, March 26, 2013.
- Thanks to Dani Duck, illustrator, for an interview on her site about Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma, my March picture book. Read about using Skype and Google Earth to research nonfiction.
Just out is this true story of an orphaned cub.
- My March release,THE GIRL, THE GYPSY AND THE GARGOYLE, now has a sample chapter posted online, a free download. Please download and read it!
- In December, 2013, I collaborated with first grade teacher Cindy Cook on a 1st grade research report. Here’s the full story, including three sample essays from the kids.
- Read my guest post on Donna L. Martin’s site: How to Write a Series
- October 14, 2013. Wikipedia has just approved an article about Darcy Pattison and her works.
- October 11, 2013. Wisdom, the Midway Albatross is featured on education distributor Mackin’s blog, Books in Bloom. The article is titled Mapping with Books and suggests using the book to explore the Pacific Ocean. Mackin recommends WISDOM for these specific categories of classroom teaching (Of course, it fits many other categories, as well!):
- Alabama 2nd Grade Science
- Endangered Animals
- Louisiana Gr 2 Science: Earth Science
- Maryland 1st Grade Science Standards
- North Carolina 1st Grade Science Standards
- Pennsylvania 1st Grade Ecology/Environment
- Pennsylvania 2nd Grade Ecology/Environment
- Science Picture Books
- South Dakota 2nd Grade Science Standards
- Utah Kindergarten Science Standards
- October 4, 2013. My article, “Don’t Lick the Statues,” about the Wieliczka (VEE Leet ska) Salt Mine just outside Krakow, Poland, is scheduled for the Highlights Magazines for Children May, 2014 issue.
- October 2, 2013. Desert Baths was named an Editor’s Choice by the Library Media Connection magazine.