See also: 15 Days to a Stronger Character
Latest post on Characters: 3 Types of Character Arcs: Choosing the Best for your Novel
- Name or Nickname: Does the character’s name evoke something about him or her? Does it resonate in the story?
- Character Roles and Jobs. Have you fully explored the possibilities of family and community roles? Are they working at cliche jobs or fascinating jobs?
- Inner Character. How’s your characters’ intelligence, intuition, curiosity, honesty and spirituality?
- Character Desires Answer the all-important question: What does s/he want?
- Characters Flaws and Paradoxes. Perfect characters are boring: mix it up!
- This I Believe . Write an essay in the character’s voice about what s/he believes.
- Why? Character motivation. Characters don’t act randomly. Why is your character doing this right now?
- Characters’ Backstory Interesting characters have back story. What’s your character hiding
- Character Descriptions. Bland descriptions are out. Go for memorable.
- Setting Details that Reveal Character. OK – what kind of junk does this character have it his/her house or apartment?
- Body Language. 55% of communication is body language. Get him or her moving to help communication.
- Characters’ Voices Voices can enhance our image of a character.
- Likeable, Sympathetic Characters. Is this a character I want to spend time with? Do I care what happens to him/her?
- Consistent Characters . Have you given the same reader (with all his/her complexity) page after page?
- Villains Don’t Always Wear Black
- Supporting Characters. Who is walking around with your main character?
- Sports Novels. Are your characters cliche jocks? Why?
Explore your character’s backstory, life and emotions more fully in this book.
Or if you’re at the start of a novel, refine the emotional arc with this book.
The Writing: PUTTING THEM ON THE PAGE
Do you find this list helpful? See other posts on Character below.
Fiction Notes by Email
When a new post appears on Fiction Notes, we'll send it to you by email.
We love to make it easy for you!