February 11, 2009 Update: BOWEN PRESS has been closed and Brenda Bowen has left Harpercollins. I have no information on where Molly O’Neill is at this time.
Continuing my reports from the 2008 Winter SCBWI conference in New York City:
Fire in the Hole
Jennifer Hunt, Executive Editor, Little Brown Books
Molly O’Neill, Assistant Editor, Bowen Press
Reports on other blogs about the 2008 conference.
The Newest Imprint at Harpercollins Children’s Books
Molly O’Neill, Assistant Editor at Bowen Press and Brenda Bowen, Publisher, comprise the staff at this new imprint. They are excited about establishing a precedent for great literature as they launch their first list in Winter 2009. They are looking for a variety of titles. However, they are NOT accepting unsolicited submissions. Please submit through your agent.
Topics of Interest
- Cultural trends and global matters, such as their March 2008 (the only early book), My Space/Our Planet: Change is Possible, a book about using My Space to support causes.
- Literary Fiction. Bowen has published both Karen Hesse and Virginia Euwer Wolff, so the bar is very high here.
- Popular fiction. Examples include Tad Williams and Deborah Beale’s The Dragons of Ordinary Farm.
- Bold & Arresting picture books. Their first list has only author/illustrators, but they are also open to author texts for which they will find the best illustrator.
- Graphic novels. C.M. Butzer’s The Graphic Gettysburg.
- New talent/debut books.
- Innovative, groundbreaking approaches.
O’Neill says, “Most of all, we’ll strive to publish good books well!”
Fiction Notes by Email
When a new post appears on Fiction Notes, we'll send it to you by email.
We love to make it easy for you!