M. P. Barker: Class of 2k8

Permalink

This is part of a year-long series about those intrepid newcomers, The Class of 2k8. To help marketing efforts for debut novelists, these 28 novelists have banded together to create a group marketing effort.

M.P. Barker

difficult boy A Difficult Boy, Holiday House.

Revising A Difficult Boy

Some writers claim to lo-o-o-ve revision. Then again, some people claim to love liver, shoveling snow, and, for all I know, root canal. Personally, I hate, loathe, and despise revising.

For me, each sentence comes torturously slowly, after hours of procrastinatorial cogitation and multiple permutations before I settle on it. By the time my “first” draft is complete, I’ve already done a lot of revising-as-I-go and have exhausted whatever spark of creativity prompted it. To revisit it is like going to a well long drawn dry.

On top of that, I am not one of those people who can write short. Nor am I one of those writers who can work from an outline. I take my characters, point them in a vague direction (sometimes no direction at all) and see what they’ll do. This leads to a story arc that looks more like an EKG than a bell curve. The first draft of A Difficult Boy was more than 700 pages long. So how did I trim more than 400 pages of flabby writing and unsightly prose? Patient friends and lots of office supplies.

Slashing a Mss in Half

  • Stage #1 (700 pages down to 500) – Four writer friends gave the manuscript a thorough going-over. If a section made all four hold their noses, I could be pretty sure that it really and truly did stink. I also remembered to grovel shamelessly in gratitude, because I could never have afforded to pay them.
  • Stage #2 (500 pages to 350) – I got a bulletin board, push pins, highlighters, scissors, tape, and Post-it notes. I assigned each character a different color highlighter, and assigned a letter code to each of the plot points or themes. I created a table with columns for: chapter and scene, time and setting, action, purpose of the scene, and themes or issues. I tacked the chart up on the bulletin board. Then I applied the highlighters and letter codes to the chart. That made it easy to see what was redundant or needed re-arranging. Then I got busy with the scissors, tape, and Post-it notes (plus one additional patient friend)…and the wastebasket. The 350-page version got me my agent and my publisher.
  • Stage #3 (350 pages to 275) – After receiving the five-page editorial letter pointing out all the book’s flaws, I spent three months staring at the manuscript, whining, accomplishing nothing, and in dire need of anti-depressants. A friend offered to help me by red-lining surplus paragraphs and sentences. She didn’t stop there, however, and began giving advice about major structural changes, which I received very ungraciously. We stayed up until two in the morning, me being a total witch, and her trying very hard to be helpful. I went to bed not knowing whether I should kill my friend, my editor, or myself, but certain I should flush the book. After three hours’ sleep, I woke up knowing exactly what to do. I pounded out a new outline in about two hours, and got the revisions done only a week behind schedule—much to my editor’s relief, I’m sure. My friend forgave me, my book will be coming out in April, and I owe my friend a hand-made shawl.

M.P. Barker, April 2008.

2k8 Stories

Look for these other 2k8 Stories:

March: Jody Feldman
April: Zu Vincent
April: M.P. Barker
May: Sarah Prineas
June: Daphne Grab
July: N.A. Nelson
August: Laurel Snyder
September: Nancy Viau
October: Ellen Booraem
October: P.J. Hoover
October: Courtney Sheinmel

Fiction Notes by Email

When a new post appears on Fiction Notes, we'll send it to you by email.
We love to make it easy for you!

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

0 Comments