Adding reviews of your book to your website is simple. Earlier, I did a series on setting up your author website which covered the basics of setting up your site. This is an extra, but potentially important extra.
Goodreads WidgetGoodreads makes it simple to add a Review Widget to your site. Here’s how.
- Log into your Goodreads author account.
- From the Home Page, right sidebar, click on Visit Your Author Dashboard.
- Make sure your account is updated and you have claimed all your books. If this is your first time to set up an Author Dashboard, be sure to read the Author Tutorial linked in the sidebar.
- Click on Author Widgets in the sidebar.
- Scroll down to the Reviews Widget and click on Configure & Add Widget.
- Use the ISBN number to find the right review and configure as you want.
- Copy the code provided and drop into your website where you wish.
Note: For the code to work in WordPress, you must paste it into a TEXT editing area, not a VISUAL editing area. You’ll find this tab at the top right of the editing area.
Example of GoodReads Widget in Action
- Below is what the GoodReads Review Widget looks like for my novel, Saucy and Bubba.
- Or, see how it is used in a separate tab on the Mims House eBookstore for Wisdom, the Midway Albatross.
On a related development, Kobo eBooks (Here’s a post I did about Kobo and why you should pay attention to it.) has recently announced that they will no longer use GoodReads reviews on their site. This makes sense because Amazon bought out GoodReads a couple years ago. Using reviews from a competitor is bad business. Instead, Kobo will be developing its own set of reviews on its site. For a short time, authors can take control of that and ask fans to add reviews on Kobo. So, here’s my request. If you have read and enjoyed one of my books, I’d appreciate a review on Kobo. If you just rate the books (give it some stars!) that helps, too.
To ask for reviews on your own Kobo books, just change the name at the end of the URL, using a plus sign between first/last names. You’ll see which of your books are offered on Kobo.
Fiction Notes by Email
When a new post appears on Fiction Notes, we'll send it to you by email.
We love to make it easy for you!