Wildlife artist, @KITTYHARVILL is offering a series of b/w, printable creative coloring pages for students to participate in Draw a Bird Day (dabday.org) on or about April 8. As the artist for Wisdom, the Midway Albatross: Surviving the Japanese Tsunami and Other Disasters for over 60 Years, Harvill is well-versed in bird art. The three creative coloring pages include a set-up for students:
- Add a landscape for a soaring bird
- Add a bird flying over a tsunami wave
- Complete a drawing of a bird using a photo reference./li>
The Draw a Bird Day (http://www.dabday.com/) was created to honor the memory of Dorie Cooper. During World War II, she cheered up soldiers by encouraging them to draw birds. Soon the walls of the sick ward was covered with bird pictures. When ten-year old Dorie died in 1946, her coffin was covered with drawings from soldiers, nurses and doctors. To remember her life and inspiration, Draw A Bird Day asks people to simply draw a bird and share it with someone on April 8.
Because April 8 falls on Easter this year, we are encouraging parents and teachers to do the Draw a Bird activities the week before or after.
To participate, download the creative coloring pages and use them to draw birds with kids.
To share, post pictures online, then email the location to email@example.com. We will PIN all submissions to the Draw a Bird Day: April 8, 2012 Board at http://pinterest.com/darcypattison/draw-a-bird-day-april-8-2012/
To Join in the fun, you can see more here:
- Facebook Event page: Please join here. Then, you add in any emails you want to invite Friends.
- The WISDOM THE MIDWAY ALBATROSS website actual blog post which explains the event and has the pdf downloads.
- The Pinterest Page for Sharing.